WOMEN IN HORROR: A Month-Long Look into the Ladies Crafting the Worlds of Fear! Day Seventeen – Ashes von Nitemare!
- What first drew you into the world of horror?
I’ve always had a morbid curiosity for the strange and unusual. The horror universe is encrusted with taboo which really piqued my interest as a rebellious youth. It began with gateway horror like Goosebumps, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Tales From the Crypt Keeper and evolved into what it is today.
2. What film/book/show was the biggest influence on you?
The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Tim Curry running around in fishnets and glitter pumps while proclaiming “don’t dream it, be it” and killing ex-lovers out of jealously really spoke to me.
3. What actor/director/writer do you consider your biggest influence?
Cassandra Peterson as Elvira, Yvonne De Carlo as Lily Munster, and Carolyn Jones & Anjelica Huston as Morticia Addams. These ladies continually show that it’s possible to be campy, funny, spooky, beautiful, intelligent, and authentic all in one package. They are everything I strive to be and who I model my podcasting persona after. Plus, they have killer wardrobes.
4. Who would you consider to be your horror twin?
Delia Deetz. She is an eccentric, fashionable, confident, tough, demanding, misunderstood, and slightly skeptical character with the ability to take her fears and traumas and turn them into art. And just like Delia, if you don’t let me gut out this house and make it my own, I will go insane, and I will take you with me!
5. What do you think you would you be doing if you weren’t involved with the horror community?
Obviously singing in the local church choir.
6. Plug some of your past, present, and upcoming projects.
You can listen to my melodic vocal ramblings every Thursday on my podcast, Throwdown Thursday. Every week my cohost and I tackle a new character, discuss their history, their interactions, and contributions to their respective universe, and their importance in pop culture. All of that plus character battles, science, wine, sharks, and more!
7. Where do you like folks to follow you on social media?
You can follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @MissVonNitemare
8. Where can folks find your work?
http://throwdownthursdaypodcast.com/ and all major podcast platforms.
9. Which horror icon would you most/least like to go up against?
Most – Gizmo. I would smother it. With hugs. So many hugs. And I promise I wouldn’t feed it after midnight.
Least – Jason Voorhees. The fact that there’s a supernatural element that prevents him from ever really dying, and therefore could never be defeated, would be rather frustrating and ultimately devastating. Plus, I have asthma so running around Camp Crystal Lake is something that wouldn’t happen. Aka I’d be the first to go.
10. Any advice for young ladies aspiring to become involved in the horror community?
To quote a certain Sweet Transvestite from Transexual Transylvania, “Don’t dream it, be it.” Watch films. Read books. Find your passion. Take up space. And never, ever water yourself down because someone else thinks you’re “too much”.
11. Who is on your Horror Mt. Rushmore? This can be actors, writers, directors, characters.
The head of Tim Curry – half Dr. Frank N Furter & half Pennywise, Sam from Trick ‘r Treat, Pinhead, and Jason Voorhees. Ask me again in five minutes and I’ll probably give you a different answer.