WOMEN IN HORROR: A Month-Long Look into the Ladies Crafting the Worlds of Fear! Day Six – Jenny Bean of the DeRailers Podcast
1. What first drew you into the world of horror?
I think I was really first drawn to horror because of the monsters. As long as I can remember, I have always had a soft spot for monsters, sympathizing with them instead of being afraid of them.
2. What film/book/show was the biggest influence on you?
Probably The Addams Family. It has influenced so many aspects of my life and is a huge influence on my work.
3. What actor/director/writer do you consider your biggest influence?
Tim Burton. I love his character designs and style. His work always inspires me to be myself and to embrace my own weirdness. I take a lot of inspiration from his characters and imagery when designing and creating new pieces.
4. Who would you consider to be your horror twin?
I would say Lydia Deetz from Beetlejuice, the Matron saint of goth girls everywhere! We share the same gloomy outlook on life and a dark sense of humour. She is my spirit animal!
5. What do you think you would you be doing if you weren’t involved with the horror community?
I feel like I would probably be doing the same sort of thing, just be a lot more miserable and less creative while doing it. I feel like I would have probably dove a lot deeper into the anime community. I don’t know who I would be without horror since it has been such a huge part of my life since I was young.
6. Plug some of your past, present, and upcoming projects.
To date, all of my projects have been personal items. I make clothes and costumes for myself regularly. In my work, I try to incorporate spooky fabrics into everyday clothing. I also love making spooky houseware items like placemats, oven mitts, and aprons. Currently, I am working on 2 skirts; one using an amazing Nightmare Before Christmas fabric and another using this super cool blood drip fabric I found. On the board for future projects are some more clothing items and a Beetlejuice inspired apron.
7. Where do you like folks to follow you on social media?
The best place to find me on social media would be my Instagram account @lilsockpuppets. This is the platform I use the most regularly.
8. Where can folks find your work?
The best place to find my work is my Instagram. I always post what I am working on in my story and keep regular progress pics through there. I like using the story option as I am pretty terrible at remembering to do actual posts of the finished projects.
9. Which horror icon would you most/least like to go up against?
I would love to go deliver some vigilante justice with Toxie and would least like to go up against Jigsaw.
10. Any advice for young ladies aspiring to become involved in the horror community?
Don’t be scared to get involved! Go to conventions and meet all the like-minded people you can. Don’t be afraid/ashamed of who you are and what you like. No matter what, follow your passion.
11. Who is on your Horror Mt. Rushmore? This can be actors, writers, directors, characters.
Wes Craven, George A Romero, Elvira, Junji Ito